Thursday, December 16, 2010

Fresco de Piña / Pineapple Horchata


Remember the very first time I posted on this blog way back in 2007 and I showed you a bag of pineapple skins I was going to freeze to use another day and told you I'd share with you another recipe for it? Well, three and a half years later, here it is. Finally.

This Fresco de Piña is another original of Doña Rina's. She doesn't like to waste any part of the pineapple so instead of throwing away the "pine" she washes it well and makes a delicious rice/pineapple/cinnamon drink with it. I like to call it pineapple horchata. That's just my personal interpretation.

You'll need:

Pineapple skins of one pineapple
2-3 cinnamon sticks
1 cup of uncooked rice
sugar to sweeten

1. So, once you've sliced your pineapple and you're tempted to throw the skins away, instead fill a pot with water and throw the skins in there.
2. Add cinnamon sticks. If using cinnamon sticks from the Mexican food section, be generous.
3. Add 1 cup uncooked rice.

4. Cover and boil until rice opens and is soft and cinnamon sticks are completely open. Mixture will be very watery.
5. Blend entire boiled mixture from the pot (including cinnamon sticks) until there are no major chunks.

6. Strain mixture into a pitcher.

7. Using a spoon, press any extra liquid out of the remaining strained ingredients.

8. Fill pitcher with cool water until drink is at required consistency and sweeten to your desired sweetness. (It takes quite a bit of sugar to get this sweet).

Sometimes she prepares this drink thicker than others. I prefer it a little more watery than thick. Make sure to chill before serving.

Enjoy with any meal or as a delicious refresher after a long days work!

2 comments:

Blog Utopia Dot Net said...

I didn't realize there was anything useful which could be done with pineapple skin except to compost it. Well, I hope when she's done she composts it anyway.

Here's a blog post I wrote recently on the increasing popularity of horchata.

http://blogging2utopia.blogspot.com/2010/12/another-latino-contribution-to-us.html

Chub Johnson said...

Daisy,
I love how you show a picture by picture shot. I know someone like me who wants to surprise the misses every now and then needs them.

Ok now down to business. My name is Chub Johnson and I am with The Write Guyz. We are currently recruiting bloggers for our website to contribute where ever they see fit. We feel you would be a great asset to our Taste Budz page. We currently have a number of Chefs as well as non Chef contributors to the page. There are many other pages on our site, and if you wish to contribute to any of them we would be lucky to have you.

We currently offer many incentives for our bloggers. Our goal is to give you as much exposure as possible, and hoping that through our site more people will visit your personal blog as well. I encourage you to visit the site www.thewriteguyz.com and if you are at all interested shoot me an email thewriteguyz@yahoo.com

I think you will not regret it. Also, have you ever considered making your post into videos? I think that would give you an extra edge above the other food bloggers. Just some advise.