Tuesday, December 14, 2010
One of my favorite comfort foods that Rina makes is her broccoli soup. And my girls love it too. There's nothing better than to know your kids are asking for second servings on their green veggies!
2 large slices of onion
1 stalk of celery
2 gloves of garlic, minced
2 heads of broccoli
1 large potato, with skin (or 2 medium potatoes)
water from potato
1/4 tsp cumin
salt & pepper to taste
1. Wash and Dice potato (with skins) and place in water to boil (just enough to cover it).
2. Saute onion, celery, garlic, and broccoli until the onion is clear (broccoli may still be firm).
3. Place broccoli and other sauteed ingredients in a blender with a small portion of the water from the potato and blend until smooth.
4. Pour liquefied ingredients back into the soup pot and do the same with the potato - blend until smooth with remaining water.
5. Add potato liquid to the warming ingredients in the soup pot and bring to a boil on medium heat.
6. Add a tablespoon or two of butter, a 1/4 tsp (or more if you like it) of cumin. Salt and Pepper to taste. Mix final ingredients well.
Serve warm with bread, toast, or a tasty grilled cheese sandwich . . . or a black bean and cheese quesadilla, like I did here.