Saturday, January 12, 2008

Thanksgiving Cranberries

by Verlin Ammon

Okay, so it has been way too long since I've posted any recipes and I've been kindly reminded by a few of you readers. So, here's to a new start. I do have a few past dishes I've made and just haven't got to putting on so I'll be back-tracking for the next little while.

This is a delicious dish that my friend Corrie's mom shared with me way back in my Colorado days (1999). I've been craving it since the holiday season began and didn't get to making it until after New Years, but as long as it's cold outside and there's still snow on the ground, I think it's still okay to enjoy all the holiday/winter recipes I didn't get to during the busy season.



Combine the following in a mixing bowl:

3 c peeled/diced apples
2 c fresh cranberries (rinsed)
2 Tblsp flour
1 c. sugar
3/4 c chopped pecans (*I added walnuts because I didn't have pecans on hand)


Mix and put in 8x8 buttered casserole dish.

Turn the other way while little fingers try to snag an apple or two.

Topping:

Mix and sprinkle across apple/cranberry mixture:

**3 pkg instant oatmeal (cinnamon & spice flavor)
1/2 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c melted butter

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (or longer . . . when it bubbles around the edges - depends on altitude). Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

**I didn't have packages of instant oatmeal, so I substituted 3/4 c oatmeal, 3/4 tsp cinannamon, 3/4 tsp nutmeg and it turned out delicious.



No comments: