Sunday, July 19, 2009

Gram's Chocolate Nut Dessert

I've never really known if this dessert has a name. I just jotted it down as "Gram's Chocolate Nut Dessert" in my recipe book years ago and that's what it's been. I don't know why, but I associate this dessert with Christmas for some reason. And that's when I usually make it, but Armando requested I take it to a church gathering a week or so ago and so I snapped a picture before we stepped out the door.


This is a simple recipe and it'd delish. However, I am trying to eat healthier. So I'm going to dump a bunch of unhealthy recipes out there for the rest of you to try and then when I'm through I plan to share a couple healthy ones I've been enjoying lately. Now for the recipe:

The crust*:
1 c flour
1/2 c butter
1/2 c nuts (walnuts or pecans)

*When I make this in a larger dish, I double the crust ingredients. This is my favorite part of the dish. No sugar. Nuts and butter. It's the perfect blend with the sweet chocolate and creamy cheese.

Mix together and press into 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes at 350. Remove from oven and let cool.

1st Layer:
1 c powdered sugar
1 c cool whip (I usually am generous with this cup)
8 oz cream cheese

Beat together until smooth and spread over cooled crust.

2nd Layer:
1 large pkg instant vanilla pudding
1 large pkg instant chocolate pudding
3 cups milk
You'll notice that a normal pudding recipe will call for more milk - this is meant to be quite firm.

Top Layer:
Top with remainder of cool whip and sprinkle with nuts or chocolate shavings to garnish. Keep refrigerated. Serve cool.

No comments: